Types of Transfer Credits in BC and Yukon

Types of Transfer Credits in BC and Yukon
  By Anne Maclean

Page 1

Next Page

The British Columbia transfer system (which includes Yukon College) is a comprehensive system that allows you to start your post-secondary education at one institution and finish it at another. Generally, you can use your transferable courses in two ways: 1) to calculate your admission grade-point average (GPA), and 2) to meet program-specific requirements. Many public and some private institutions are members, and they have developed numerous transfer arrangements (also called articulation agreements) and options. You might complete the first two years of an arts or science Bachelor's degree and transfer to a university for years three and four. Or you could take a one-year certificate, a two-year diploma, or a two-year Associate degree program. Associate degrees are standardized throughout the province, allowing for easier transfer; in many cases, an associate degree can fast-track you for admission to a Bachelor's program elsewhere in Canada or in the United States, where associate degrees are widely recognized.

BC has a Transfer Protocol, approved in the spring of 2007, with the Alberta Council on Admissions and Transfer (ACAT), based partly on the Pan-Canadian Protocol on the Transferability of University Credits. This agreement will help ensure that if you have taken post-secondary courses in either BC or Alberta and you apply to another member institution in either province, the institution will recognize your courses for academic credit, as long as the course content is equivalent and relevant to your program of study. You also need to have at least a passing grade in your course(s) and receive an offer of admission to your receiving institution.

Some institutions also have transfer arrangements with other provinces.

Things to keep in mind:

• Don't assume that your receiving institution will automatically grant transfer credit. Most institutions require you to submit a Request for Transfer Credit Form along with your official transcripts. You might have already done this when you applied, but it's a good idea to make sure they have your transcripts and transfer credit request form (and any other relevant documents) on file. The timing and procedures may vary from one school to another, so if you're not certain about your institution's policies, ASK.

• Eligibility for admission to a college or university doesn't guarantee acceptance to a particular program. There may be specific pre-requisites or a higher GPA required. Or the program may be highly competitive with only a limited number of spaces available. So the better your grades and the more transferable your courses, the better your chances of acceptance.

These types of transfer credits are available in BC and Yukon:

Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB)

These are enriched secondary-school programs that allow students to earn advanced credit towards an undergraduate degree.

Assigned credit

Credit granted for a specific course.

Associate degree

A two-year degree program in the arts or sciences, offered at many post-secondary institutions in BC. It can be a goal in itself and is recognized by many employers as a valuable credential in its own right. It can also provide advanced standing for admission to a bachelor's degree program. In many cases,

Next Page